Monday, February 1, 2016

Day 3: Typing the bold print & making notes continued

Here is a link to the authors website: http://tidyingup.com/ and book:
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up book cover
2/1/2016

For reference, I'm going to continue typing the bold print from the book "The life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo.

The moment you start focusing on how to choose what to throw away, you have actually veered significantly off course (Pg. 39)

Noting: I hate to admit it, but I'm already doing this in my mind and wondering how I'm going to part with certain items that no longer bring me joy!

We should be choosing what we want to keep, not what we want to get rid of. (pg 41)
(This is HUGE it's the key behind keeping the right mindset we have to have!)

Take each item in one's hand and ask "does this spark joy?" if it does, keep it.  If not, dispose of it.
(pg 41)

Noting: I'm not going to be throwing my items away unless they're broken or stained.  I'm going to donate some items, sell some on Ebay, and have a yard sale.  I want to use the money to buy some new things like dishware and art for my home when I'm finished tidying up.

Keep only those things that speak to your heart.  Then take the plunge and discard all the rest.    (pg 42)

Always think of category, not place. collect everything that falls within the same category at one time. (pg 43)

People have trouble discarding things that they could still use (functional value) that contain helpful information (informational value), and that have sentimental ties (emotional value).  When these things are hard to obtain or replace (rarity) they become even harder to part with.  (pg 45)

The best sequence is this: clothes first, then books, papers, Komono (misc stuff), and lastly, mementos. (pg. 46)

It's extremely stressful for parents to see what their children discard (pg 48)
(especially unworn clothes that you paid lot's of $ for, but I'm getting better at not getting mad, because I know I've made the same mistakes and if they say they won't wear it now, they won't ever wear it!)

To quietly work away at disposing of your own excess is actually the best way of dealing with a family that doesn't tidy (pg 52)
Noting: (Matthew 7:5 NIV)
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.)
The urge to point out someone else's failure to tidy is usually a sign that you are neglecting to take care of your own space. (pg 53)

Noting: Page 59-61 What to do when you can't throw something away 

To truly cherish the things that are important to you, you must first discard those that have outlived their purpose. (pg 61)

So here we go! tomorrow is my official day to start since my daughter doesn't have school today I want to do something fun with her instead.  I hope your reading along and that you find this blog helpful and encouraging.  Leave a comment if you get a chance!



No comments:

Post a Comment