Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Day 4: Starting on Clothes

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up book coverHere is a link to the authors website: http://tidyingup.com/ 

2/2/16
Quotes from the book and notes:
We should be choosing what we want to keep, not what we want to get rid of. (pg 41)
I actually go through my clothes at least once a year, and had a yard sale this past summer and got rid of lot's of things, so it shouldn't take too long.  I have avoided letting go of several items which I will be sharing with you today.

Tidying order for clothes (pg 65):
Tops (shirts, sweaters, etc.)
Bottoms (Pants, skirts, etc.)
Clothes that should be hung (jackets, coats, suits, etc.)
Socks
Underwear
Bags (handbags messenger bags etc.)
Accessories (scarves, belts, hats, etc.)
Clothes for specific events (swimsuits, kimonos, uniforms, etc.)
Shoes

What things will bring you joy if you keep them as part of your life? (pg 66)
The most important points to remember are these: Make sure you gather every piece of clothing in the house and be sure to handle each one. (pg 68-69)

Loungewear pg 69-70 (gulp) "What you wear in the house does impact your self image."  I do enjoy fuzzy warm unattractive pajamas and loungewear.  I'll keep some because they do bring me joy and warmth, but I will invest in some new more attractive sleepwear in the future. 

I've decided I'm going to create a photo book on shutterfly of mementos that I'm keeping and items I'm letting go of.  I think it will help my family know the history behind some of the things that I love.

Here is the closet before:

empty pretty sock drawer huh?
and I don't think I have that much clothes! 



I put on my bed all my socks, pantyhose, bras, underwear, bathing suits, shorts, t shirts, pants, tops, sweaters, dresses, workout clothes, and pajama's.  
This took me over three hours and the final result was four big bags to donate, one garbage bag, and one small pile of nice spring/summer items for a yard sale.

I've noted some items that I kept but that need to be replaced, like some new bras.

I also noted some memento's: My fathers tan B Altman Sweater, My mom's dress that she wore to my sisters wedding, and the dress that I spent too much money on for my daughters graduation that I didn't like how it looked on me. but I'm waiting to deal with them, as Marie suggested and I'm putting them in the hall closet for now.  I'm also waiting to take an after picture of the closet, because I put  everything back but didn't "arrange" it.   Marie suggested to wait to do that till after you have finished discarding from your home and only have left what brings you joy.

Tomorrow I will do my coats, shoes, bags, purses, scarves, hats, and gloves.  Please leave me any comments or suggestions you may have and let me know if your on this journey too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment